We hear a lot about Breastfeeding and Breast Milk, but do we actually know the importance and benefits of Breast Milk?
Breast Milk is made exclusively for the baby and is produced in a manner to suit the baby’s requirements. It satisfies baby’s needs in all the aspects. It is always the first food that we give him and contains all that is required by the baby in correct proportions. Thus, Breast Milk can’t be exactly replicated by any other substitute. It is the best food for a baby and the baby can also easily digest breast milk.
Another interesting factor about breast milk is that it changes according to the baby’s needs and age. The nutrients present in the breast milk for a newborn is different from the nutrients present in the milk in the next few months. In fact, the nutrients in the Breast milk for the preterm baby are different than that of a full term baby.
The WHO (World Health Organisation) says:
“The Breast Milk provides all the energy and nutrients that the infant needs for the first months of life, and it continues to provide up to half or more of a child’s nutritional needs during the second half of the first year, and up to one-third during the second year of life.”
Advantages of Breastfeeding:
There are many advantages of Breastfeeding for both the mommy and the baby. Below is the list of its advantages or benefits.
- Breastfeeding advantages to baby:
- Increases resistance to infections.
- It makes babies smarter.
- Reduces the scope of Ear infections, Pneumonia and other allergies.
- Protection against chronic diseases.
- Helps in fast recovery from illness.
- Keeps baby healthier.
- Breastfed babies show good response to vaccines.
- Reduces the risk of SIDS.
- Increases baby’s immunity.
- Breastfeeding advantages to mommy:
- Improves bond between mom and baby.
- Reduces the risk of Breast Cancer and Ovarian Cancer in mothers.
- Helps in getting back to the pre-pregnancy weight soon.